Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thing #22: Overdrive Audiobooks

Overdrive is a database with which I have gradually been familiarizing myself. I started using it earlier in the year, and now that there is a guided digital media tour, I found myself able to grasp more of its features. I may be wrong, but I think that the guided media tour is a new feature on the Overdrive database, one which all customers who are interested in using it should watch a few times over.

The Overdrive Transfer Wizard is very helpful for anyone wanting to download titles onto their MP3 player or other campatible listening device. It's very visual and less bound by text-based only instructions. To me, this enhances and increases the userability for our customers.

Once I downloaded a title to play, I was impressed by the interativity of the listening process. There are newly added features such as thebookmark feature and the icon for "resuming from furthest played part." I like the latter especially and want to know if it will save until the next time I open up the book. I have this question about the bookmarking feature as well.

The audio quality is perfect and the Windows Media Player interface is clear, clean and intuitive. I can see use of this database by customers using their PCs with speakers as well as at the workplace with headphones, and at home or at leisure with an MP3 player and headsets.

Also, the audio speed icon feature (normal, fast, faster) was useful, too, as sometimes "skimming" a book is a useful technique.

No comments: